Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cheap Camera Accessories

This week I finally caved and bought a cheap little slave flash trigger. It was about $12 on eBay. And amazingly enough it does work with the old Vivitar flashes we stored with the Canon AE-1. It works on the principle of setting off the remote flash when it senses a flash from something else, ie the S3. I don't know how long it's going to take me to figure out how to work the S3 and the remote flash so they're firing at the same time. My next purchase will probably be an adapter tube, and a polarizing filter, and possibly a flash bracket. I'm holding off new camera purchases until I decide if I'm getting a DSLR or not. The picture quality just keeps screaming to me. The Cokin P series of filters is intriguing me though, as I could use it on any later camera with just an adapter ring. And I recently discovered the true use of Neutral Density Filters. They easily make it so you can do very long water shots in sunlight, without overexposing, so I might have to try some of those too. The helpful tutorials that led me to these ideas can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_s3_is_how_to/discuss/72157603671169448/ and here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_s3_is_how_to/discuss/72157603671619056/

No comments: