Monday, April 26, 2010

Some of what I've been doing

Since last week sometime when I regained my clear-headedness (hormones suck) I'm very likely moving to Minot until next April. I'll be moving mid-July and coming back I think some time in April. I've been spending at least the last two weeks when I've been home planting everything I've been keeping in pots, moving plants around and planning out everything I have to do to keep the garden alive while I'm gone. Sometimes it is mighty convenient to rent from your parents. The wayward strawberries were moved last night. These are only the ones that had escaped their tire planting container. I still had a bunch of extras and put them and my bug-eaten blueberry bushes on craigslist and the left last night. I was too discombobulated about not having a job and maybe moving to plant veggies from seeds this year. This is about 8 dollars worth of lettuce seedlings from HD. They seem to be doing just fine. I'm a little annoyed to be having to buy tomato plants in a few weeks but that is what laziness is going to cost me. For several years we've had a "planting bed" to the side of the patio in deep shade. There weren't any plants in it, but it was filled with the dirt we dug out to make the patio. I'm trying to get it all moved to other parts of the yard and used for either planting beds or for leveling. The first couple hundred pounds went into the above planting bed, which I had to buy no plants to fill. I already had enough to do it. The above planting bed is currently next to my back door. Since I'll be moving I feel I should empty it out so nobody kills the plants, through neglect or intention. The compost bins are also right next to my door and will need to be moved. When I come back I will likely be living in my parent's half of the duplex and they may be shipping off to Minot but that is far enough in the future I'm trying not to worry about it. All I know now is my cat, the dogs, the cockatiel and the crested geckos are very likely driving cross country in a few months. Three snakes will be staying here (Snakes are illegal in Minot) with my oldest leopard gecko and the tree frog (easy to care for). The rest of the critters are slowly getting rehomed.

No comments: