Wednesday, May 16, 2012

False Sunflower (Heliopsis helianthoides) From Seed


Since I'm being too lazy about posting what I'm doing (ie yard is 80% or so done. I have very little left to move, and just need to sift the compost and mix it in the garden beds) here's a bit about a success.

Last year I collected seeds from my false sunflower plant. There weren't any where near as many as one would expect, but I dutifully tossed the bits that weren't seeds and put the suspected seeds in a sealed container (canning jar) in the fridge once they were dryish.


At the end of April I took the seeds out, left them waiting for a few days to warm up and planted some in a pot. I planned on separating out individual plants before they got too large, once they had a few true leaves. I kept them damp inside for a while (over a week), then I got impatient and put them and a bee balm seeded pot outside and just kept watering them. I planted April 28th and May 16th found seed leaves. So 2 1/2 weeks at temps ranging from 50 F to 80 F (we're having a weird spring.)



The bee balm also just started coming up. So my best advice is be patient. Time to go plant some more seeds from last year.


No comments: