Sunday, June 19, 2016

New England Buck Moth - Caterpillar


Buck Moth Caterpillar
New England Buck Moth - Hemileuca lucina
I finally got around to visiting Farnham & Connolly Memorial Park in Canton.  I wasn't particularly impressed, as the water level is non-existent and not too many dragonflies are about.  The park is finished, but still very raw.  There were tons of birds, but since I'm normally looking for bugs I wasn't that interested.  I included a map below since for some reason there isn't one anywhere online.  The park is part of the Fowl Meadows and Ponkapoag Bog which are part of Blue Hills, though it seems like it's quite far from both.  it has a mile long trail that leads out to the woods, but the trail dead ends at 95.  I did see at least three of the above moth caterpillars though.  Bright red heads with orange back spines.  The side spines were black and branching.  Maybe 2 inches long. 




No comments: