Wednesday, January 7, 2009

On feeding snakes

Anyone who's not a snake fan will probably want to skip the following post, though I didn't put any pictures in there or anything. So, in my town there is a nice local pet store. I can get almost everything for all my critters there without having to go to a big box pet store. A huge draw for me was their frozen reptile food selection. In a PC move big box stores put any frozen rodents in opaque sealed bags, so they don't have to answer any questions. Of course that makes it mighty hard to tell if they're a good size for what you're feeding. For a few years I was getting mice about once a month at my local pet store. About 3 months ago, right after I went to a reptile show and didn't stock up, my favorite store stopped getting large mice. I have I think one of the pickiest ball pythons imaginable. He will not move up to rats, so I have to get big mice. My corns can be fed numerous smaller mice, but not the ball. For two months I put up with tiny mice at 2 bucks a pop. I had to feed 2 or 3 of them, so 4-5 dollars a feeding. In December I did some googling after buying some hopper mice at the price of adults. I discovered RodentPro.com. Even with 30 dollars worth of shipping the xxl mice came to less than $.80 each. I bought 75, enough to last me through till the April NH Reptile Show, where hopefully I'll buy some more. ( It did take me three days to talk myself into spending that much at one time on mice, even if overall they were much cheaper.) They were packed excellent, and would have stayed frozen even if the shipment had been delayed. Awesome deal. Even better, my ball python hasn't refused one yet. He's normally a little moodier in the winter, and had been off feed for a while due to the tiny offerings. Not a problem with these mice. I haven't even had to leave him overnight to think about it. Wonderful.

No comments: