Sunday, February 15, 2009

(Early) Spring Cleaning

I've been busy with neatening up my life as a way to not spend money. It has partially worked, but led to lots of stuff floating around my house being thrown out. It's also resulted in a renewed interest in half-finished projects. Last year, I believe around May I started building a fish tank stand. It was to hold up a restarted saltwater tank as my current 30 gallon has one fish and infestations of red-bugs and some kind of zooanthid eating snail. I was unimpressed with store-bought stands (too short.) After laboriously cutting chunks out of 2 x 4s with not quite correct precision I finished the frame and the floor of the cabinet. I even found some doors at ikea (As-is department is the best place to shop there) and bought the thin plywood I was going to enclose it with. Almost a year later it was still sitting in my kitchen as a bare frame with a fish tank sitting on it covered in plywood. A few weeks ago I got tired of looking at it. I discovered that what was keeping me from finishing it was not actually wanting to figure out how to get a sump inside it to not wreck the stand with salt-deposits. I looked around my house and evaluated all my other tanks and decided to rework some other fish into the tank. Two days later I finished the stand. I used the paint that was leftover from my kitchen and three coats late it was complete. Some of the more peaceful fish from the basement are back to being displayed, and the only fish left in the basement are the overwintering pond fish. Next I have a few steps and my huge anole cage can be called complete except for sealing. That one has also been sitting 90% finished for months. I'm not sure exactly why that one isn't done yet though, my subconscious most likely has a silly reason like the fish tank stand.

No comments: