Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cinnamon Ferns from Spores

So last year was the first time my cinnamon fern was large enough to grow fertile fronds, also known as the bit that got them the name cinnamon fern. Through light reading I found that if you want to harvest spores, you have to do so at the right time. I also thought that spores when they're ready were orangy colored. So last year I took the fronds off after they turned orange, and got nothing. This year I started earlier. Yesterday I poked one of this years fronds, and spores came right off. I pulled two of the three fronds I had and put then inside over white paper. this morning I have tons of green spores. I wasn't completely sure they were spores until I found this article Ferns. If you read through the entire thing you eventually get to spores being different colors, and the osmunda family having green spores, so if you wait until the fronds go gold you've missed them. If only I'd read it last year. Now I have to go cook some potting soil.

No comments: