Saturday, May 2, 2009

Moving the Pond

To go along with the high garden fence I needed to rotate my pond so there would be more running space for the dogs. Moving it wasn't that bad, though getting it empty and getting the plants all out was a hassle. I've been draining it over the last two weeks. Last week I got the plants out into temporary tubs, and this week finally got all the water out. I had been using it to water the other plants, but the sludge at the bottom wasn't really pourable. I decided after getting the plants out last week, that most of them needed to be repotted. All the lilies were trying to grow out the sides of their pots, and the marginals had climbed over the edges last year. I repotted most of the lilies in cat litter pans with pure clay cat litter in the bottom, and gravel on the top. A few got broken apart but grand total is 10 hardy water lilies in a 5 foot by 3 foot pond. The largest one got repotted at the bottom of a tub all by itself since the cat pans weren't big enough for it. This is why every time I walk by those pond plants in a bag I have to stop myself. I only really like the lilies, and since I already have 10, should probably stop getting them on clearance. Maybe I'll buy one more so I can show how I repot them... I was too dirty for pictures yesterday.

No comments: