Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Daniel Webster and North River

Last week I decided to try to visit as many Mass Audubon sanctuaries as possible. I have a membership, so it really only costs me gas money and time to go to them. Last weekend's trip was Wachuset Meadow, which had it's moments, but I found a little disappointing due to deer flies. This Saturday I went to Daniel Webster and North River in Marshfield MA. Daniel Webster I've already been to, but it was in the winter, so I didn't see as much. This time it was great. Birds everywhere. It almost made me think I should start one of those life lists, since I saw so many new birds. An American Kestrel was chased around by some smaller birds, and I saw some kind of hawk far off also being harassed. The Purple martin houses were full and if they'd been a tiny bit slower I could have gotten some very nice flying pics. I even saw a green Backed Heron which was one of the new ones for me. Not many dragonflies though, which is my big current interest. I also saw more deer than I've ever seen at one time anywhere in MA. Yeah it's pathetic, there were 5. The bird feeders even attracted a turkey, which I've never gotten close enough to photograph even remotely well. Normally they are taking off over a hill before I see them. Overall I liked it, and will definitely go again. North River wasn't as interesting. For some reason it had an entire field of ragweed. A few grasses on the edges, but ragweed otherwise. The river overlook looked over onto a boat dock. I saw a bird I've never seen before and a few dragonflies, but overall the place was not up to snuff for critters. They did have a very nice butterfly / wildlife garden, with lots of birds at the feeders.

No comments: