Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Daily Photo - Bathroom Fan

How well replacing something goes seems to depend a lot on who did the original installing. A few months ago my bathroom fan started making funny noises, and eventually smelled like smoke. I took the light piece off (with the electricity off of course) and saw I could just unplug it but keep the light so I did. Fast forward to today. I've had the new fan for close to a month and the people who i would want to install it haven't, so I went and too my old one apart again and found the new one was the exact same fan with a new light fixture look. Great, that meant it should fit in the current housing, so I wouldn't have to actually play with the actual wiring. I took out the old one and noticed the exhaust part wasn't actually connected to the hose that led outside, so it's been venting into my attic floor for 5 freaking years. I hooked it up at least closer to the right way and put in the fan. plugged it in and it worked fine. However the mounting bolt that came with it was too short to mount the light because of the crappy way the box had been installed i.e. there was at least one layer too much of drywall on my bathroom ceiling. So I could have the old light or the new fan, but not a fan and a light. I fiddled with it a bit and realized that the exact same issue had been fixed on the old fan with a longer bolt by removing the fan from it's frame and swapping out the mounting bolt. So now I have a working fan / light, and i don't think it's any more of a hazard than it was before.

No comments: