Thursday, May 6, 2010

Faucets and Flooring

Yesterday, I peeled up some of the nasty vinyl tiles in my kitchen and found mold where the dog water bowl, sink and fridge could all be culprits. I also found out my kitchen sink is missing the handle for the hot water shutoff. The vinyl is going to be replaced, hopefully in the near future with tile. My annoyance with it went and spilled over to my bathroom though, which needs to be re-floored before my kitchen. So as I have done before I wandered to the local library and took out books on flooring to make myself feel better. I also picked one up on plumbing since I was worried about the kitchen sink. Somewhere in my bathroom floor (tub or toilet at this point) is a tiny leak that keeps peeling the paint off my kitchen ceiling. If any water gets on the bathroom floor it pours out through one of my kitchen light fixtures. That is due to the rotting plywood under the tiles near the tub. I had enough of it this morning and started peeling up tiles, any that came up easy are now in a trash can. That led to pulling out the plumbing book I thumbed through yesterday and yanking out my slowly rotting vanity. I already have a replacement vanity, both due to the current one rotting and there being not enough clearance for your knees to not whack it while using the toilet. They are both cheap press-board vanities, but on the new one I'm going to seal the open edges with paint or polyurethane so it can't just wick up any water it comes across like the old one did.
My new faucet
I got a faucet for the new vanity and dry fit it, looks like it should work. That led to asking my father what exactly was wrong with the sink in their half-bath. (I was way too proud of myself for getting my sink out without causing a flood.) The water has been turned off on it for over a year now. The hot water wouldn't stop dripping, and the cold was coming out the handle on the faucet. I figured I could fix that, meaning I could replace the faucet and since it is at least 25 years old I think we got our money's worth out of it. I even had a crappy but working faucet to replace it with, seemed easy. After trying to disconnect the water lines for a half-hour I got them off just the shutoffs and disconnected the drain. It was a wall-mounted sink so I lifted it off the wall and the metal drain pipe snapped as I picked up the sink. My faucet replacement was getting more complicated. I finally pried the old faucet off and cleaned off the putty which had been stuck just about everywhere. I went and got a new drain for 8 bucks and some flexible supply hoses. As of now the sink works just fine. Hot water, cold water, no dripping and the drain stopper even works. Now I just have to fix their other sink (messed up drain stopper) and our kitchen sinks (1 rotting the counter top, the other just starting to). Mine needs a new faucet and theirs just needs help...
The new old faucet

No comments: