Thursday, October 14, 2010

Foggy Broadmoor

I woke up early this morning. Then I shut off the alarm. Then I woke again still fairly early. I've been trying to go out at dawn, but I keep worrying about the traffic since dawn is currently around 7, so psych myself out and go back to bed. My goal was to get out of the house by 8 AM. I managed that but had to go back for my tripod. I picked Broadmoor as my destination as I could get there on back roads. Halfway there I crossed the Charles River and drove through some lovely banks of fog. Thankfully the fog persisted all the way to Broadmoor. There are plenty of tiny spider webs. Some of the trees are changing colors. Even the reflections were nice. Grass in sunlight. More leaf veins. This would be the lowpoint of my hike. In the wildlife meadow a strange bug landed on my hand. Since it looked like a tick on first glance I shook my hand and whacked it against things. Ticks bring out my irrationality. I got it off my hand, but it started crawling on my shirt. I saw it only had 6 legs so couldn't be a tick, but it certainly looked like one. A little reaseach when I got home led to a Deer Louse Fly or relative. I didn't find out if they bite, but they do have nice hooks on all their feet, which explains why I had so much trouble getting rid of it.

No comments: