Monday, January 3, 2011

Kenyan Sand Boas Rock

I really do feel these guys don't get enough credit as an excellent pet snake. Yes, they are largely invisible, but you really can't beat the temperament. Last week I went to feed him, and for the first time in the year I've owned him he tried to bite me. I took this a little hard, but he has tiny teeth, and I barely felt anything. This week when I went to feed I noticed he had shed stuck on his head. Whenever a snake has any stuck shed on their head there is a high likelihood of there also being retained eye caps. They can't see well through these caps and normally docile snakes begin striking out of fear.

I just spent ten minutes massaging water onto his head until the stuck shed peeled off. This snake which is the thickness of my thumb, and maybe 12" long didn't even flinch. It sat perfectly content to let me repeatedly pet its head with wet fingers. It did have eye caps and a piece of shed barely 1/2" long on the top of its head. I do handle this snake, but not that often, maybe once a week on average. It is a delightful snake, perfectly calm when removed from the cage, and small enough to handle with one hand. And that seems to be mostly just its own temperament.

It won't get too large, its heat can be provided by lamp or heat pad and it has an excellent temperament. They even come in a few different colors. I think some more people should give these guys a chance and give the ball pythons a break.

No comments: