Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hoodoo

bryce canyon hoodoo

I now wish I'd thought of attributing scale to this image. I don't remember how big the hoodoo was, or how old the tree growing on top appeared. I do remember this was during an 8-mile hike in the blazing desert. It was fun, though I wish I could have gotten out of bed earlier. Next time I go to Bryce in June I need to bring arctic gear. Down in the canyons it was nice and warm, but up at the campsites it was just above freezing at night. My sleeping bag is old and only rated to 40° F. It dropped a little lower then that at night. I was sleeping in thermal pants, two pairs of socks and a sweatshirt and I still though I might die each night. I woke in time for dawn exactly once and thought I was going to freeze to death then as well. It was a lesson I won't soon forget.

No comments: