Monday, August 29, 2011

Left Hanging

tree branch
So hurricane Irene came and went. I barely managed to keep my car from getting crushed by falling junk (branch landed within 6 inches of the front of my car). I spent Friday preparing, i.e. moving everything not tied down from the yard and putting an awful lot of it in my kitchen (I now have a few tiny flies in my kitchen I'll have to evict). I also did a small amount of hurricane shopping.

Above is a picture from today of the precarious chunk of tree now hanging above my driveway. Some smaller branches, only 10 or so feet long did fall, but this one got caught on itself and then stuck around some steel cables that anchor a telephone pole in our yard. It barely even swung in the wind yesterday and I didn't notice it until late in the storm. Obviously the tree itself isn't looking so good, so will likely get taken down completely, or heavily trimmed. The winter moths we have now in MA have been stripping this tree for a few years so it isn't in the best of health anyway.

No comments: