Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Beach Trash

This July family reunion trip to Cape Cod (it's an annual thing) I decided to go off on my own a bit more. I also cut it short by 3 days, as I really hate a vacation when I just read books while paying $50 bucks a day for the dogs to be kenneled. I visited three of the five Cape Cod National Seashore Beaches (I'm only counting the park service controlled ones, not the town ones.) I went on a number of the nature walks I've been carrying around a map for from 2 years ago, and I went to the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary at low tide. If you've never been at a sanctuary beach at low tide you're missing a treat. Fiddler crabs run across the trail at many points, so numerous you think they're bugs. You even get a chance to see birds that aren't gulls. I'll admit I mostly go for the footprints. Lots of bird prints on the sand just waiting for me, without many people footprints to get in the way. All the neat stuff low tide tosses up is still there, rather than carted off by the first person who saw it. These are a sampling of the over 1,000 pics I took on vacation. I'd also recommend visiting as much of the National Seashore as possible. Lots of stuff to see...

No comments: