Monday, July 28, 2008

Indian Pipe and friends

Great morning for Indian Pipe (Monotropa uniflora.) I saw dozens of patches hiking in Moose Hill in Sharon this morning. I didn't find anymore Ebony Jewelwings (Calopteryx maculata) as I'd hoped. Much as I like Garden in the Woods, I don't like being unable to find what I'm looking for somewhere I already have a membership. There were plenty of mosquitos, and I saw a Morning Cloak butterfly from quite far away, but not much else by way of critters. Some but not much fungus was peeking out after the hard rain we had yesterday. I was hoping for more, but I went down the pine trail, where I haven't had much luck before, hoping I'd find the damselflies. I also should have hauled the tripod, but regretted taking the camera bag, so would likely have hated the tripod as well.

2 comments:

steven123 said...

Since you are a member of Garden in the Woods, please send me an email at scholoms@students.sou.edu addressing your interests at the Garden. My name is Steven, and I am interning as an Entomologist who just happens to take great interest in fungus. I see 3 kinds of assassin bugs (just an example) and about 40 types of mushrooms each day, and I'd love to show you around! Many are very difficult to spot, or present only on back trails.
Right now is a great time for butterflies, moths, dragonflies, larger beetles, grasshoppers, stickbugs, unusual wasps (friendly ones), and definitely mushrooms. Bad time for the ebony jewelwing, though I caught one on Sunday. Since I've had time to look through the garden, I have some idea of where everything is.
Photography is a fav., and if you want closeups of interesting insect action, come at 3:30pm on a weekend and I'll give you a photo tour.

tokapuppy said...

I found over a dozen Ebony Jewelwings on the Curtis trail there this weekend. They were right off the trail, around noon.