Monday, April 20, 2009

Unexpected Free Time

Due to the MA holiday today I didn't have work, which was a nice surprise. With all my sudden free time I played in the garden a little, arranging rocks from our crumbling rock wall for a rock garden, and planting the raspberries in a planting bed rather than in pots. All the berries are going to be caged better this year, since the birds think they're ready to pick just a day before we think they are. Last year we got 5 blueberries. I didn't get to building the actual cage yet, but have some ideas. It started raining before I got too far with it. Once it started raining I decided I'd make my kitchen less of a death trap again. In my shopping for scrap wood my kitchen has a tendency to sprout boards and planks leaning against all available surfaces. One of my dogs is convinced that all of them are going to kill him, so eventually stops going in the kitchen, at which point it's time to build something out of the junk. Over the weekend ikea had a free breakfast so I got to chauffeur Mom to and fro and bought some shelves while I was there. I was planning on hanging some shop lights off them so I could get all four double bulb 4 foot shop lights lined up to light the seedlings, which haven't really been thriving in the 65 degree basement. they should do better in the 80 degree critter room. I got the shelves up but then decided they wouldn't hold the 20 lbs worth of shop lights securely enough, which led to this. I did have to go to HD for the S hooks and Eye Screws, though later I found I could have scavenged enough of them at home to finish it. The braces were in the basement already, and I have 1x3 wood chunks all over the place from various projects. I'm quite happy with the result. On this one bank of lights is out as I kept forgetting an extension cord was why I had gone downstairs. After the light setup I was feeling quite industrious. I next tackled a 2 dollar piece of plywood and made the frame for a cold frame. Halfway through the jigsaw gave out though, making the cold frame more expensive than I had planned, but I like the new jigsaw. (I use a jigsaw to cut plywood because being a girl I can't use a 10 lb circular saw. I'm not really keen on table saws either, as they are the way most wood shop workers lose fingers.) During one of my trips to HD earlier I had bought some plants, and bemoaned the fact I didn't have a box to keep them from repeatedly falling over. Enter the crates. Using the measurements of a seed tray I made two crates out of wood that had been hanging out in my kitchen and basement. I think I might buy some handles for the short sides. I expect they'll be a lot harder to carry full of plants. After today I'm down to one 2x6 and 2 old windows leaning in my kitchen. Not too bad, and the dog will go in there now.

No comments: