Saturday, January 16, 2010

Daily Photo - I Have to Stay Out of Pet Stores

Back in college I had a bit of an aquarium problem. I think I got up to 15 tanks before I started downsizing. I now have 3-5 running at any time. Today I happened to go to a PetsMart and find this guy and his kin on sale. $1 each. Normally they go for $5 at that store and up to $10 elsewhere. Back when I had lots of tanks I had a pair of these spawn once and I ended up with one new fish out of maybe 15.
Chaetostoma spec. Catfish.
I went to 3 stores and ended up with 7 of them. They're living in my kitchen in a 15 gallon for the next month until I'm sure they don't have any interesting diseases (my last attempt at this grew some kind of yellow fungus and died. I've never seen anything like it before or since.) I think I ended up with 3 different species. Hopefully a pair of at least 2 of the species though. I'm trying to keep myself from driving to another store on the off chance they have more. I'd have them catch just the species I really want, but it isn't really worth it trying to explain which one of the 6 I want. At least I don't mind having extras.

No comments: