Friday, January 22, 2010

5 Things I've Learned...

in the last 12 months or so of playing with my camera. 1. Dawn really does have the best light and is worth hauling out of bed for. 2. 250 mm is barely a telephoto if you're chasing birds. It is also irritatingly slow. That same 250 mm has to be stopped down to f/8 to take anything approaching sharp. It also needs to be within about 10 feet and take up at least 1/4 of the view for focus to be less hit or miss. In other words it isn't as useful as it could be.
100% crop
3. Mirror lockup let's you take better long exposures, esp. with a tripod and remote. 4. A dedicated flash is completely worth it to photograph bugs. A ring macro flash might have been better, but I can't bounce that off the ceiling. 5. Keep taking photos until the critter leaves. This isn't film. I don't need to hoard my film, or pay for processing. If I take 100 photos of something so be it. I should easily get 5 I love and 20 use able photos from that type of burst. The ratio should be even better if the critter doesn't move much.

No comments: