Sunday, August 22, 2010

Today's Project - Make Leopard Gecko Happier

I've had my leopard gecko for more than 5 years now, and he's put up with a lot. He didn't die on crushed walnut, even though it's supposed to be bad for them (didn't know better yet.) He has been on various types of sand, dirt and paper towels. I've decided that even though the paper towels are "safest" for him he definitely doesn't like them. He spends some time digging them up under his hides, I guess to make them softer? I also detest what his cage looks like with paper towels and plastic hides.
Cage this morning.
I covered the back with three layers of black paint and replaced his plastic hides with aquarium rocks. The sand is a mix of the 6 kinds I had in the basement for aquariums. I'm going to try mixing a bunch of different sand grades to get something that compacts well. I still have to figure out a humid hide. I might have to make one out of foam and paint it to be rock like. If I make one for him though I'll also have to suck it up and make a nice one for the ball python. That kitten litter pan with a hole in it looks atrocious.
Cage now. I almost upped his cage size to a 40 breeder, but I sold my extra this afternoon, and felt it was just a little too big. I really want to build a rack of front open cages all with 36 x 18 floors or even 48x18 floors. I really want to upgrade the ball python, but don't have anything the right shape. (And people say they can live in a 20 long, I find his 30 breeder cramped. It has barely enough room for a hide and a big enough water bowl. )

No comments: