Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ranty

So is there some reason stores think customers want to be individually greeted and asked if they need help at every turn. Are there really people who want that? I had the misfortune of going to a big box home improvement store today. I used to like shopping there. If you needed help you could find it, but you didn't feel stalked. I feel stalked now. I was asked no less than 7 times if I needed help finding anything. Did I look lost? By the seventh person I was getting a bit tired of saying no thank you. To make it worse they were having some kind of training event so management types were prowling and shouting out to every customer if they wanted help. No I don't. I want to browse, find my polystyrene, get some liquid nails and go home to build my weird reptile cage tree. I'm not stealing anything, so leave me alone. Maybe I should get a t-shirt made or something. "It's called browsing." perhaps? Maybe just "Go Away!" would be clearer. I blame the new G.U.E.S.T. approach to sales. It's a little creepy. Link to PDF explanation. I personally have never relied on a salesperson to tell me what to buy. It's their job to SELL things. I don't care if they're bubbly and confident, their goal is to separate me from my money. Thank you but no I don't have any interest in their recommendations and can do my own research.

No comments: