Friday, December 10, 2010

Daniel Webster - Freezing Dawn

At 5:45 AM my alarm went off. After hitting snooze a number of times I got up. I quickly checked the weather and saw 30 F. Well, that's cold, but I should be fine. By 6:17 I was in the car. I forgot my hand warmers, which turned out to be a disaster, and that knit hat hat I took is not as good as my wool Bula one. When I arrived I was surprised that defrosting my windows had actually caused frost to form on the inside of my car's back windows. This should have been a sign. it was bitterly, excruciatingly cold the entire time i was there. It was worse up near the parking lot, but by the time I left I couldn't really move my fingers and felt like I was walking balanced on two bricks. That said I did get some nice pictures. A few days ago I pulled out my camera's manual again to fiddle with live View. I know people had thought it was such a great feature when I bought the camera, but I'd never actually used it. in a nutshell if you're shooting from a tripod at a stationary object it increases your ability to focus by like a million times. This led to lots of frost pics. Live View can get stuff like this, rather than by chance which is how I was doing it. Out of 300 or so photos today only a handful are out of focus ones of frost. Admittedly I also have the camera on a two second timer and had the mirror lockup enabled. Right in the middle of me freezing my butt off I got to listen to numerous close by shotgun blasts. A minute later I heard "Did you get that doe?" out of the woods ahead of me, and I saw a guy in orange walk by. I'm not sure exactly where Daniel Webster ends, but that seemed mighty close to conservation land. I looked it up and shotgun deer hunting ends in 3 days, then it's primitive firearms... I heard a few from farther away later. Someone also put a little feeder on the viewing window and some accommodating tufted titmice posed for me. On the way home my mother texted me asking how cold I was. It turns out it was actually 7 F out. I just lightly check the weather and was actually looking at the high for the day. What did I learn? Always bring the good hat. Hand Warmers are essential. Always drag the tripod (I actually got a good distance from the car before going back for it this time. I nearly whacked myself in the head since I'm iffy at spotting critters at a distance my lenses are capable of, so that means mostly frost subjects at Daniel Webster.)

No comments: