Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fixing Up My Kitchen

Since I'm between temp jobs I started partially gutting my kitchen. Eventually my kitchen is getting ceramic tile, which when it finally goes in will be awesome (right now I have cheap stick on vinyl that keeps peeling up from the sub floor, and grows mold under it wherever it gets wet). Since I rent I can't do huge changes to my house, but I can improve on what is there. I spent the weekend ripping out the fake wood paneling and painting the very old paint behind it with kilz to seal in whatever might be lurking in it. I ripped out two small sections of drywall that were crumbling and a bit moldy and patched the wall (found out my kitchen anyway is built with 2x3 studs rather then 2x4, which seems weird). I also scraped the calcimine ceiling and coated that with two coats of oil based kilz (should last a number of years without peeling). I though about putting a layer of latex on it, but it looks fine and I know from previous experience the kilz will stay white enough for my needs (a coat of latex will also just make it heavier which may cause more peeling).

Now that the smell of the kilz is finally going down (I've been camping in my bedroom with the bird, dogs and cat waiting for the air to clear) I'm considering my latex paint for the walls. I already have it (leftovers from other parts of the house), but I know it will not dry quickly in the next week of wet weather, so I may put the actual painting on hold. I'm going to be setting it up much like it was with a chair rail made of cheap molding going around the room, there just won't be any nasty paneling underneath it. The chair rail will hide the messy spot there the paints meet. I also still have a section of drywall behind the fridge to patch, but I might skip it for now. It has an outlet in it and it isn't perfectly attached. I really would want to completely rip out a large section of drywall to get the outlet better attached to the wall, and leveled at the same point as the other outlet on that wall.

I have some fake molding to make for above my kitchen cabinets. Right now there is a 4" or so gap above them to the ceiling that just fills with nasty dust and some peeling ceiling paint. I'm going to box them up with some pine boards and cheap quarter rounds just to make it less nasty. Of course I'm going to get to paint all that too. I need the rain to stop so I can at least prime outside.

I'm also trying to work out how to turn our aging shed into a half greenhouse half shed. I want it to be at least warm enough mostly from the sun for seed starting in the spring. I also want to permanently evict the squirrels and chipmunks from inside and stop the roof leak once and for all. I also have to till most of the yard and try to get a lawn in, but it would have been better for me to have managed that Saturday before the rains came.

pictures may or may not come later. I didn't take any really good before ones.

No comments: