Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bearded Iris Propagation

I have tons of plants to move, but until Spring moving them is not really a great idea. Some things, such as my bearded iris however are not moving, so I can feel better about messing with them. I was too lazy earlier in the summer to dig up the clumps and chop them up. I finally got to it this weekend. I had only two of the four plants bloom this year so expected them to be crowded. Some of the roots were 12 inches across packed tightly together. no wonder there were no flowers. I split and re spaced everything and they look okay. I figured if I can buy roots in the bulb sections now, it can't be that bad of a time to split. Hope they will be fine. I doubled their space.

My new garden plan is leaving me with tons of plants to move, including a few I've been waiting years to get to blooming size. I have one peony, that has just reached a size I expect flowers next year, and they hate being moved... I also have to completely redo the pond and figure out how deep I need it for water lilies to overwinter.

No comments: