Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New Plant Table

Months ago when I thought I was moving I downsized my plant collection substantially. I went down to 5 potted indoor plants. My outdoor plants were all planted out and I was ready to move. Things change, and I've been slowly accumulating more houseplants again. I had a small set of lights under a kitchen cabinet, but that space was painfully full (trying to raise ferns from spores again). Now I'm in the process of reviving / rehabilitating some african violets for my aunt and needed some more space.

For $1.00 in new lumber I made the table above. I cheated in that I already had the lights and the table itself, I just needed to devise a way to put the two together. Two clearance 4 foot pieces of 2 x 4 solved that problem. It's 4 feet wide, 2 feet front to back, and 2 feet tall. I really wanted a multilevel plant shelf, but this will have to do. I can add a third or even a fourth set of lights for spring when I'm planning on starting massive numbers of veggies inside again (I should be able to fit 4 flats). Too bad it's already full :P.

No comments: