Monday, September 5, 2011

Bulb Time

It's bulb time in my area. Meaning it isn't quite time to plant, but it is time to get them from stores so they won't suffer the sometimes abysmal storage big box stores put them through (outside or in the rain). For things like bearded irises it is time to plant, at least in the northeast US. So far I'm trying to control myself. I got some hyacinth as someone gifted a blooming trio last year and they smell divine (I planted them out in the yard after they finished blooming), so in case those ones don't re bloom I bought 6 more to plant. I also found one species tulip, and a black tulip. Tulips seem hit or miss here, so I'm going to try them in different places. I've seen species tulips come back year after year at Tower Hill, so I'm pretty sure they come back better then the hybrids. I may also talk myself into a bag of something to try to force.

No comments: