Saturday, October 1, 2011

Garden Note: Hardy Tomato

We're having weird weather, hot and muggy one day, hot and raining the next. A few months ago, whenever I transplanted the blackberry bush, I found a random tomato seedling growing out of the old compost bin area. I stuck it in with the blackberries. I do wish I knew when that was. The tomato plant has survived, and has spent the past month getting 3 feet tall and putting out tomatoes in this miserable weather. I really wish I could find my note about when I was transplanting the blackberries so I'd have some kind of time line.

I hope October stays unseasonably warm just so we can try to figure out what kind of tomato is coming. I kind of want to save seed from this plant to see if I get something like it. It is constantly putting out new suckers and seems quite happy. I did pull a sucker and potted it up inside just in case we have a sudden frost. I would like to keep it alive until next year to try again with it in spring. At the same time we have a pair of iffy super sweet 100 plants in containers that have looked to be on their last legs for a month. They likely want more root space, but they didn't ever look happy, even when freshly transplanted. At this point I'm just waiting for the few cherry tomatoes to finish ripening.

Just so I remember: I'm trying to root coleus cuttings, just potted up some hosta seeds and tried the same with day lily. For some reason the clematis is sprouting right now, which I don't remember happening last year, but it did die back a lot this summer. Most of the hosta seeds are ripe, though the scapes haven't started drying yet. I have dug through the seed I have and setup a small germination test for some of the older ones. The others have all been put in sealed glass jars in the fridge. lupine were re-potted about two weeks ago and seem quite happy, same with one of the pine trees. I got pro-mix on clearance at home depot and should have enough for starting veggies next year if I don't do too much with it now. I am also officially done with indoor worm composting after my latest attempt at a secure worm bin led to another fruit fly epidemic.

No comments: