Friday, October 21, 2011

Shed Doors

shed
My project of the day, involved finally covering over the giant hole I made in the shed sometime in the summer. There used to be a rotten window here, and I carved out the wall, put in new studs and cut the existing doors to fit the new space. We used to have two large doors, but realistically the doors only need to be large enough to get the wheelbarrow and lawnmower out and back. I ended up with one large door, and on the left of it a 9" wide extra door. I considered making them equal widths, but that would have involved cutting two 62 1/2" pieces of plywood straight with a jigsaw. Since my jigsaw prefers to cut a little wavy I nixed that idea.

The shed looks all nicely buttoned up, but there is technically an even larger hole on the other side of it where I removed the doors to hopefully replace them with windows. I want to make it into a giant cold frame, so I can use it to extend the harvest, and possibly start some seedlings. However before I can do that I have to figure out what to do about structure. Termites have eaten out all the support on that wall so I need to figure out how to support my windows, without jacking up the building and starting over.

No comments: