Monday, November 10, 2008

Attic Cleaning and 80's Cartoons

So Sunday I got talked into cleaning out parts of my parent's attic. It is as you expect full of junk from my childhood, books and magazines that were not stored properly, and lots of shredded paper from mice. We hauled out about 15 milk crates full of books for donation, threw out some broken never used skis and poles, and I discovered Dad's been storing a 'Blue Bird' dummy terminal up there for more than 20 years... Some 15 year old sleeping bags went out, as did lots of assorted broken items. Only one thing looks resell able. A bike rack. Who's going to buy a bike rack in November? I found boxes and boxes of toys. My Little ponies have a very distinctive smell, though I don't remember any more which are mine and which are my sister's. It just sort of makes me want to find the original movies on DVD to see what I remember of them. I also found a little toy Pterodactyl with a button on it's back that moved the wings. Very low tech toy. I remembered it was from a TV show where the bad guys put mind control boxes on dinosaurs and attacked the good guys who had to get the dinosaurs to cooperate. Eventually I found the instructions to one of the toys, Dino Riders. A curious web search got me this: YouTube Dino Riders And then came the reasons I stay off You Tube My Little Pony: The Movie, Transformers. Someone, somewhere has saved just about everything. And yes we have entire collections of McDonalds and Burger King Toys, even though I never ate anything there but fries. I also saved a huge rubber maid container full of dinosaur and animal toys. And I actually packed it well enough it doesn't look like anything is living in it. At least I didn't find any enormous silverfish in it, like in some of the other containers. The entire attic cleaning is to convert the second bedroom of my parent's house into a movie room/ guest room. But we needed a place for all the stuff still in that room first.

No comments: