Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dogs and House Fires

So, one of my dogs is a dedicated counter surfer. There does not have to be food up there, just a previous presence of food, and she's up there looking. She also keeps licking the stove, and like most old stoves it has an irritating (to me) safety feature. You have to push in the knobs for it to turn on. You also have to twist them all the way around to light the gas. As one might expect a dog who counter surfs and a stove with this safety feature do not mix well. Once she turned on a burner when I was home, melted a milk jug. I was actually standing directly in front of the stove when she did it. A few weeks ago she did one better. I came home to a house reeking of that corpse smell (mercaptan) they add to natural gas so we'll notice it. My other dog threw up for three days after that. I locked them out of the kitchen, but pondered a solution. To turn on the gas you have to push in the knobs. I can't get the knobs off easily, so for convenience sake removing them wasn't an option. I came up with this. It's a piece of trim cut to a half inch longer then the width of the stove. The extra half inch means when you want to cook you can just slide it up. It sticks in there quite well, and the counter surfer has no interest in it, but can't turn on the stove, but can still lick the counters... grrr.... Also works against cats, and maybe small children.

No comments: