Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday Digging Holes

I've avoided it for years, but I finally bought Gladiolus bulbs. I remember years ago we planted them at the foot of a rock wall and they returned for several years, even though everything I've seen recently says they're annual here in zone 6. I've been avoiding them for two reasons. Digging down six inches in my rocky clay soil is not fun, and they seem to come only in numbers of 32 or above. Who really needs 32 bulbs... I also talked myself into some acidenthera, a gladiolus relative, more crocosima though this will be my third time killing it, freesia, which I'm trying to decide if it will thrive in a pot, and two Peruvian Daffodils, just because the flowers look really pretty. Most of them I spent 5 hours planting today. Admittedly the five hours weren't just for the bulbs. I got my new cone flowers in, a pincushion flower, a native false sunflower, some dianthus, and did some more weeding. Since I've been putting it off weeding has become my little obsession over the last few days. If I don't finish it soon I won't be able to tell what plants are what, and where I still have space. The paths and the beds look exactly the same, full of annual grass. I also replanted the cucumbers and cantaloupe plants, since the peat pots were not working I had to peel them off, and hopefully the plants will recover. They were buried, so shouldn't have been drying out the roots, they just weren't working. For some reason they weren't getting roots out of them at all. I won't make the mistake of using them again. It's also just starting the season of seeds. These are wild geranium seeds, the actual seeds are down on the bottom. I'm still waiting on at least 4 kinds of fern spores as well. I'll post soon about my cinnamon fern spores and how I sowed them.

No comments: