Sunday, November 8, 2009

Daniel Webster Morning

At some point I will really figure out that is takes me about 25 minutes, unless I'm really rushing, to get out of the house in the morning. Maybe I'll even remember that it takes 45 minutes to get to Daniel Webster, so if I really want to be there at dawn, getting up at 6:45 am isn't going to cut it. On arrival around 8 am I really loved the moon. There was still some nice light, but not much of an angle anymore. At least I found some nicely colored leaves. The weather was quite odd. It started out cold, but switched up to almost 60 degrees F. There were a few dozen green and brown grasshoppers trying desperately to get out of my way. I kept herding them to the middle of the path. Due to the warmth I saw some slightly out of season insects. I was chased by freaking mosquitoes in November. The above isn't one of those color picked images, nor is it photo shopped. The gray leaves until recently were under water and started to rot. the brighter leaves fell at some point after the water disappeared. This is not the latest dragonfly I've seen, but it does appear to be the same species as last year's November 12th visitor. There were three or four that teased me back and forth up the path. I have a bad habit of moving dew soaked leaves and such from shade to sun to try to catch glittering water images. I fount two Wooly Bear caterpillars. One was motoring along in the path. I convinced him onto the leaf to get the grass out of the way. I think this is a white wooly bear, but I'm not sure. I discovered earlier this year that white caterpillars are very hard to id if you don't grow them out. This is only one of three I saw this morning. All were on a boardwalk over standing water.

No comments: