Friday, November 13, 2009

Oh The Places I Want to Go!

So, I've been taking travel books out of the library for a few weeks now and drooling over destinations. I took out the National Geographic Guide to National Parks of the US. I was distracted for a short time by the US Virgin Islands; but yesterday flipped through the whole book. I got sucked in by the Colorado Plateau section. The Colorado Plateau includes Bryce Canyon, Zion, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Grand Canyon and Arches National Parks. After some more browsing I suddenly noticed Las Vegas nice and close to Zion. The last time I flew out to visit that area I flew into Salt Lake City UT, which is at least 5 hours from anywhere I wanted to go. Once I noticed Las Vegas the rest may be history. I'm going to try to plan on flying out. Some time in early June of hopefully next year and spending 2 weeks wandering between 5 or 6 national parks and forests. I'm not sure I'll camp at all of them, or if I might spring for a hotel at one, but I am going as a gift to myself. It is much cheaper to camp, even if I register online which has a $10 fee per day. I haven't decided yet about driving in a loop or eating the extra expense and driving from Las Vegas to Grand Junction CO and flying back from there, which would eliminate needing to drive back to Vegas. I also don't know if I'll be going alone or not. That sort of depends on whether any of my relatives want to join me, and maybe split the astronomical rental car fee. Following are pics from my last trip out west. I was stunned, but I didn't actually take that many pictures, with my very crappy Canon A70. Apparently it was before my take as many pictures as the critter will let you take.
These were taken with a Canon A70, and really they can get a bit bigger but most are quite fuzzy at full size. Grand Canyon South Rim, AZ. Damselfly at Zion, UT. Zion , UT. Bryce Canyon, UT.

No comments: