Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bearded Iris Roots

A few weeks ago I ordered some bearded iris roots from eBay. I used a seller with positive reviews and I ordered more then I actually needed as they were for my aunt. She wanted a specific purple and white flower and I found it on eBay. The order was for 10 roots with trimmed fans. This is what I got. Five tiny fans and some assorted root chunks with eyes removed. As I got no response when I tried to contact the seller they will be getting annoyed feedback. A quick Google search revealed that the picture they were using as an example of the roots they sent is one of the first to come up when you search bearded iris roots. Gee they're kind of headed toward being a bad seller.

This is about two weeks later. A few of the fans are putting out new roots, but the root chunks aren't doing much. One appears to be rotting. Even better is that bearded iris should really not be divided until July at the earliest to give the new fans time to get larger. These ones look like someone took three small plants and chopped them up into a few dozen pieces. There is just about no way they will be blooming next year. I'm going to be lucky they survive at all.

No comments: