Thursday, April 26, 2012

Exhausted

hardy geranium
I spent today ripping out another planting bed and relocating plants. The hardy geranium with the above flower is now much less happy looking. I have a larger plant of the same species, and I used the one I moved today as an experiment. I also move a fringed bleeding heart (which did not appreciate it), three christmas ferns and my cinnamon fern. It looks like I'll be leaving the other large planting bed until the fall as the large geranium and bleeding heart will not handle being moved when out of the ground. In addition, I planted out the black raspberry plant, ripped up the red raspberry plants (have a virus), moved five other hostas, planted out my last two lupines, a rose of sharon, crested iris, and moved around the chives.

I did bother the other planting bed a little bit however by digging out the very stunted hostas that have been growing under them. Those hostas have been beaten up a lot, several years ago they got shredded by the dogs, and moved around the yard to multiple low light locations. Turns out I had 5 of them, four are in the garden in better places and the last is now in a pot. I also potted up bleeding heart seedlings. I found them a few weeks ago under the parent plant. I waited until they were large enough to handle.

All in all I'm exhausted, and still have a ridiculous amount of dirt I have to move from the old planting bed. I have one other small bed I have to rip out this year, but I'll be doing that in a few weeks when all the bulbs in it are done.

No comments: