Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cat Shelves

A few weeks ago I decided I was tired of my cat being afraid to come down the stairs to my first floor. I let my first dog get away with guarding the stairs, and the second went right along. They also constantly tormented the cat if she did get downstairs. After a few years I got tired of it. The cat didn't actually seem to mind much. Step one was training them to leave her alone upstairs, which has gone fairly well. I realized years ago, that it's my attention the dogs want. If I'm not in the room they completely ignore the cat. I've got them to mostly ignore the cat now, though the stairs are still a point on contention. To entertain the cat I put up some shelves in my living room. I adapted the idea from moderncat. Eventually there will be another wider shelf higher up to lay on, these are just the stairs. However I finally got her to jump from the lower one to the higher one with liberal use of cat treats.

No comments: