Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tired... Dog Hiking

Went on two hikes this morning. I bought a flea comb yesterday, hoping to avoid the bathing of the dogs when I got home. I didn't find any ticks, but haven't seen any either, so there might just have been less ticks where I went this time. First hike was to Wilson Mountain Reservation in Dedham MA. I checked it out Friday, making completely sure dogs were allowed. I also wanted to check out the map as I haven't found one anywhere online. Below is an enlarged photo of the map as it was posted in the parking lot. I walked the 2 mile green dot trail. Overall it was a nice flat walk, with a few climbs. There was one swampy area that needs a new boardwalk piece, so I wouldn't expect to get through dry in the spring. Toka got over all of it fine, but the board walk would have been a deal breaker for my nervous dog seen above on his first hike. The trail did have the same basic off-leash dog problems, and no one was cleaning up after their dogs, another sticking point for me. After the successful hike at Wilson Mountain I decided to test Boomer on trails. He isn't a big fan of other dogs invading his space, so I needed a less used trail. Ended up on Little Blue Hill in the Blue Hills Reservation. You have to park in the Park and Ride lot on the other side of the street from the Trailside Museum on rt 138. The Trailside Museum lots are packed on Sundays. I took the Skyline trail to where it intersected with the Green Dot Loop. Nice trail, lots of slipper orchids I'll be back to see in May. Saw one deer who wasn't happy to see us. Boomer was remarkably good for his first hike, and again I haven't seen any ticks yet.

No comments: