Monday, October 13, 2008

Worm Composting

Before I built an outdoor compost bin I tried worm composting. Worm composting requires a plastic bin with some holes drilled in the side and top. You half fill it with damp shredded newspaper, add red worms, and they theoretically eat your veggie garbage. They turn it into worm castings, some of the best type of fertilizer for plants. Eventually they eat all the newspaper, so you slide the dirt to the side, and refill half with newspaper and food to get an many worms to migrate as possible to the new bedding. Then the worm castings go out to the garden, hopefully worm free. I have a 3 foot by 18 inch worm bin in the basement. I've been heavily neglecting it since spring when I built an outdoor compost bin. I checked on them today, and no newspaper left, no food either. An entire bin of worm castings. Now if I can just get the worms to migrate, great garden fertilizer. It does look nasty in there. But I've never noticed any smell, and no fruit flies, which plague the outside one.

No comments: