Friday, October 10, 2008

Day Off

My free day inspired me to go on a hike somewhere new that dogs were allowed. I love hiking with my dogs (well only one of them) but I've been limiting myself to winter hiking due to ticks. My hiking buddy came up with Lyme last year, and it was a pain to treat, so I've been avoiding it. I decided a few weeks ago I would just bathe her as soon as I got back, and today was the first opportunity I've had. We went to Signal Hill in Canton. It was great. Since it was Thursday mid-afternoon, we were alone. There's a little overlook you can see Boston from, and even this late in the year, I saw a garter snake, and several darner dragonflies. I'm not even mentioning the hundreds of grasshoppers that kept trying to escape us. There is also a canoe launch into the Neponset River. It isn't big. It was odd that there was a porta-potty in the parking lot, but no trash can. Kind of odd when they allow dogs. I was also quite impressed with Toka, she really is a dream to hike with due to training I did years ago, but very rarely use. She remembered all the commands I taught her, and now that she's a bit older, she was much more likely to obey them. Quite a joy actually. The after hike bath was fun, only seven ticks. Thankfully, only one was on me, and the ones that inevitably fell off in the car will get cooked tomorrow when it sits in the sun at work.

No comments: