Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bird Vet

Until today this band has been around my cockatiel Max's leg. A few days ago I noticed her leg was swollen. Yesterday I caught her and found that the band could not be rotated around her leg. Off to the vet we went today. It took about 45 minutes for them to get the band loosened enough to try to cut it off. Underneath the band area she has a nasty wound. Now I get to medicate a very irritated cockatiel for the next week (at least 3 times a day.) However she should be fine and the vet fit me in the same day I called, which is much better than the reptile vet I tried a few weeks ago. I'll freely admit that critters smaller than cats do not go to a vet every year. They go when they present with an injury or issue. It had been at least 6 years since Max had seen a vet. The nice part was she was much better behaved this time. She didn't have to be toweled for the first exam, just when they started fiddling with the foot. I found the vet nicer as well. So far it's all worked out as well as can be expected.

No comments: