Friday, February 5, 2010

Broadmoor Footprints and Ice

It was cold and clear Thursday morning this week and I managed to finally go two places in a week. A light snow fell Wednesday. A nice shallow sticky snow, so I found lots of nice footprints Thursday.
Fox Track
Confusing Bird tracks
Raccoon Tracks, there were tons of these all across the Charles River crisscrossing back and forth. I really liked the patterns of snow over the roots. The sunlight coming from behind was just a bonus. I have no idea what these are the tracks of, but they were maybe the size of my fingertips. There weren't many around the rock, so I'm not really sure where the critter came from but they really liked this rock. Most of the trails had a light cover of snow but under that was a sheet of ice in many places. The locations of the ice were kind of random, so there was plenty of sudden slipping. In the field around the wildlife pond I keep seeing red tailed hawks overlooking the pond. Thursday there was only one, often I've seen two. Most of the time they get chased off by blue jays before I get close enough to even really see them. I'm still deciding what my next lens will be. The above is as close as I could get to a hawk. I expect I'm not going to be getting much closer to one. The above was fully zoomed with my 250 mm lens. The hawk still looks like a little white smear. Even if I get a new 200 mm zoom, that would be able to take pics at f/4, rather than having to stop down to f/8 to get good shots, getting close would still be a problem. If I can't get closer to the subject a better lens won't help. The waterfalls are nicely frozen. One is now frozen completely over. It didn't occur to me for a few hours that I completely forgot to use my polarizer for the water. I had plenty of fun, though I didn't actually see many critters.

No comments: