Monday, July 20, 2009

Cape Cod National Seashore - Beaches

A very useful fact I learned this year is that after 4 pm the lifeguards no longer patrol, so the National Seashore beaches become free. This is ideal for me since I have no interest in actually swimming in freezing cold Massachusetts water, but do want to wander around beaches when the lighting is good. Last year I just paid for one beach on my last day and hit them all in succession on my way home. I remembered that last year that the last beach hadn't wanted to see the receipt, so wondered if there was a reason. Too bad I didn't find this out until the second to last day. I could have been to the beaches every night. I took dozens of pictures one night as the seagulls rode the wind up and down the beach at sunset. Only 2 or 3 images came out focused as it was my first use of my long zoom lens in a few months. I didn't position this feather, it really was sitting on the beach lined up nicely like that. After 4 dogs are also allowed on the beaches. This came from a tiny little dog playing in the surf. All three of these were the same day, though each is on a different beach. The clouds were awesome that day. I have plenty more pictures, but most have boats on the horizons, which I'm not too fond of. For some reason they were lining up to the left of the above picture. On the last day I went on a Sand Dune Tour. It wasn't bad, but I've been on better tours. They drive you around to see some beach shacks, you get a little of the area's history and you get to take pictures at an overlook at the end. Overall not a bad tour. Pine Tree at Province Sands Park Headquarters. It was the perfect time of day to catch the light on the tree, but have the sky dark enough to not wash out.

No comments: