Monday, September 7, 2009

Digging Free

Well, I did get them all planted, though I got lazy and just bought some more mixed crocus and daffodils (actually 64 more) once I realized I wasn't sure where the ones from this spring actually were. It was all in the sense of time saving, honest. I didn't need more different kinds of daffodils or species crocuses to photograph next April and May. The mix ended up being Daffodils - mix and geranium, Allium - Purple Sensation, Crocus - species mix, Muscari armeniacum, Crocus - Golden Yellow and iris reticulata - Harmony. 174 or so in total, though at least 1 daffodil was squishy, and there were a bunch of offset muscari to add to the total. I had to move 5 plants to put the bulbs where I wanted though, and then had to fill in the spaces with dirt from other parts of the yard. So far the transplants don't look too upset, though I feel it was a little late to be moving them. They've been planted where I can't see from June onward. The plants in front of a rock wall grow tall enough that anything planted behind it becomes invisible. I might just grow tomato plants or beans up the fence next year, and ignore the space the bulbs are in. I've also got several more plants to move since they ended up almost a foot taller than I've seen them listed at. (same rock wall bed) One of my Black Eyed Susans and some Coneflowers are hidden behind monster bergamont and my surprise rose champion. I think I'll be waiting until spring to shuffle around that bed though. I did finally get a pic of the top of my porch spider. Every day it builds a web about 1 1/2 feet across. part of it attaches to the door frame which slams at least 20 times a day, and it just sits there, waiting. It turns out it's another cross spider.

No comments: