Saturday, September 26, 2009

Oak Knoll - Attleboro MA

After a number of false starts I went out this morning. I was going to go to Moose Hill, but halfway there decided to try Stony Brook. When I got there I discovered that today was their Fall Fair or some such, and hiking wouldn't be very fun with that many people. I pulled out my list of MASS Audubon Sanctuaries and decided to try Oak Knoll in Attleboro, which I've kept putting off going to.
I liked it, and I was the only person there. Since it was quite cold last night I didn't see that much. I did startle the same heron a few times, and the sides of the trail were full of tiny (about 2 mm long) spiders. I wasted plenty of time trying to photograph them. There were some very cold dragonflies when I got there, though they'd warmed up by the time I left.
Actually most of the wildlife I saw were spiders. Above are the tiny ones, and below were likely their parents, or at least possible adults of the same species. There were a few asters blooming though. I went to Moose Hill on the way home and got another chance at one of these. I actually have no idea what it is, but the last few times I've gone there has been one hanging out in the parking lot on the milkweed, and all my previous pics ended up quite out of focus.

No comments: