Saturday, December 26, 2009

Daily Photo - Another DIY Peanut Bird Feeder

It's main components are 1/4" hardware cloth and some PVC fittings. I used zip ties all up the side to hold the hardware cloth together and to attach the caps. The bottom is just a 2" cap, while the top is a slip coupling with female threading and a male threaded cap to make for easy filling. I've found designs for these using wood on the end caps and that just doesn't seem permanent enough (I also can't cut a nice circle very well.) The wire was $9 for a 5 foot long 24" high roll, the PVC was $4 and a pack of zip ties was $4. The zip ties and the hardware cloth can be used to make at least 6 more feeders, though I'd need more end caps. I might try to figure out a way to attach the wire together with metal as well to make it more squirrel proof. I have 3 other feeder attempts to finish tomorrow. I hope the squirrels will at least wait a week to chew out the zip ties. Edit: To make the tube you need 8 inches of wire, if you want to overlap it 1/2", to make construction easier. 8 inches is 32 squares long.

No comments: