Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Daily Photo - Last Two For Now

PVC Pipe Tube Feeder - This is my least favorite one. It is loosely based on several versions I found online, and in one book. The tube is 2 in PVC, I used two PVC caps for the top and bottom. The bottom one is screwed on, while the top just slides on. The holes are 1" in diameter and stuck in them is a 1/2" PVC coupler to keep the seed from falling out. The coupler had 1/4 of it removed so there would be a hole, and you had to squeeze it to get it into the holes. I used 1/4" oak dowels for the perches. Improvements on my next one would be using a larger tube and letting the couplers stick out some to deter water a little more. Upside Down Suet Feeder - The easiest to make. I think the top was 1" x 8", the sides are 1" x 3". I used some of the screen I have from the sunflower and peanut feeders for the bottom, so it is 1/4" mesh. The top slides up the wire on the sides for feeding. I wanted to fit two suet cakes in there, so made it about 11" long (12.5" for the top) by the width of the wood I was using.

No comments: