Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Pet Requirements

Crested Gecko Eye
I have what I consider reasonable rules about getting any new critters. Not that I'm planning on getting anymore but you never know what might fall in your lap. Rule 1: Easily Handled. I feel that any animal I keep as a pet, provided it is given fair warning and isn't obviously terrified, must be easily handled. I have to be able to at stick my hand into a cage and provided I warn the critter, not get attacked, or alternately not be fled from in terror. This is especially important to me if I ever had to pack everyone up and leave in a hurry. After that whole Hurricane Katrina debacle, I made doubly sure I have enough snake bags and containers for all the critters. Given about an hour I can get everything alive and important packed up and ready to go. That might not help in an immediate emergency, but if I had any warning I could just leave everyone packed. Rule 2: Easy Feeding Requirements. I prefer insectivorous lizards, and mouse feeding snakes. Most insect or fish feeding snakes do not survive long-term in captivity because in nature they wouldn't just eat fish or crickets. My perfect lizards are actually crested geckos, that can be maintained on just crested gecko diet which mimics their main food in nature, nectar. Rule 3: Captive Bred. Easily 50% of reptile keepers should not try to keep wild-caught animals. Rule 4: Safe(ish). My preference is for non-venomous, non-aggressive species. I tend to pick 'domesticated reptiles, ie those that have lived in captivity for so many generations that they will eat just about anything, aren't overly stressed by handling and adapt fairly quickly to new situations. Some people would call them boring. Rule 5: Nocturnal. I've mostly ended p with nocturnal animals,. My main reason for this is they do not require supplemental UV, which I believe can not truly be provided adequately by lighting setups. Technically those lighting setups are also rather expensive but if a bearded dragon dropped into my lap I likely wouldn't say no. Admittedly most of these requirements are for reptiles, but my opinions do cross lightly over to the other critters. I would not get bird that wasn't hand tame, and quite happy hanging out with people. My furry pets have to be easily lifted, or trained to be safe around other people and controlled enough to be safe around other animals. Heck, I'm still teaching the dogs that Licorice has no problem whacking them in the face for being pushy.

No comments: