Sunday, December 27, 2009

Two More Feeders

First one was the easiest. We have a huge pile of rotting maple logs, and I borrowed this one. I drilled a bunch of 1/2" or so deep holes with a 1 1/2" spade bit and filled them with peanut butter. A $.69 holds it up. No idea yet if it will actually attract anything but the dogs. You can also fill the holes with suet by jamming it in as small blocks. I didn't have any suet handy. This one I haven't seen a design for anywhere. I'm trying to copy those droll yankees feeders, the ones with a built -in squirrel baffle on top and a dish, that you can raise and lower to allow different sized bids into it. Looking at the above, I think I have to lower it a bit. I used a slightly broken squirrel baffle I already had, a 1/4" threaded rod (it started out at 24" but I chopped it), a puppy feeding dish made of galvanized steel? and a turnbuckle with one 1/4" side for the hanger. I used assorted nuts, washers and locking washers to keep it together. There are extra holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. It was $9 for everything but the squirrel baffle, which I think was $10 bucks when I bought it a few years ago. It's not as pretty as the feeder I based it on but it should be functional.

No comments: