Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I have to stop getting new toys

As I posted previously my faithful dell desktop died over the weekend. It died maybe a half hour after I ordered a net book. Since I had already ordered it I kept the order open, and went and bought a new Desktop too. The net book came today. The timing was almost perfect, as I just finished finagling the desktop's settings to my preferences. I had some new free time to play with my new 10.1 in Acer Aspire one. Yes, it has plenty of negative feedback on Amazon. Oddly enough most of the complaints were about featured that are vital to the machine staying tiny. The keyboard is as you might expect small. It doesn't have an optical drive, and heaven forbid the horribly cheap net book have a shiny cover that attracts fingerprints. I've been playing for a few hours, and overall I like. The keyboard is tiny, but that is to be expected. It's not as fast as my new desktop. I wouldn't expect a computer with a tiny processor and 1 GB or RAM to keep up with a dual core 6 GB RAM desktop, and comparing them is ridiculous anyway. This thing is faster than my old Dell desktop was, so what is every one's problem. The whole point of this machine is tiny dimensions, light weight, and battery life. The goal is being able to stay connected and obsessively check your e-mail. I bought it to bring on vacation to backup pictures i might take, read and write text documents, search the web, and I guess blog. I consider it an improvement over a kindle. it doesn't have nifty electronic paper, but it has a closer to full size keyboard, plenty of storage space, and isn't useless for anything but reading books. I bought in because including the 6 cell (7-8 hrs projected) battery it still weights less than 3 lbs. It weighs less than my camera bag with three lenses in it. So far it's silent, the battery has lasted about 3 hrs, the keyboard isn't messing me up any more than my normal keyboard does, and the stupid mouse pad thing mostly works. If only I could get the CAPS LOCK to play that tone when it's clicked, so far that's my only complaint. it connected to my network within 3 minutes of being turned on the first time, my new Vista box took 2 hours to install a piece of crap (ie cheapest one available) wireless card. It even looks like the keyboard is inset enough that it won't touch the screen at all when it's closed, avoiding the marking problem my mother's 7 lb laptop has. Of course after my spending spree on computers I'm back to buying food for me, food for the critters and gas for a few months. At least the computers work though, and it's not like I have any other expensive hobbies. Next reptile show is in two weeks, here's hoping I don't come home with another $50 lizard. p.s. I went to Moose hill this morning, and might have some moss and snowdrop pictures posted later.

No comments: